Tooth loss is no laughing matter, but if you don’t take measures to maintain and take care of your teeth, it could happen to you. Most of the time, tooth loss is a direct result of poor dental and oral hygiene. However, tooth loss can also be caused by disease – the loss of teeth is simply a comorbid condition, or a subsequent consequence of a bigger health problem. All in all, though, prevention is the key to preventing this rather embarrassing issue – an issue that becomes more of a risk as you age. Fortunately, there are a number of ways to prevent tooth loss, so that you can enjoy life and feel great. Here are five effective tooth loss prevention tips.
- Brush regularly. One of the best ways to prevent tooth loss is to simply brush your teeth – on a regular basis. Ideally, you want to brush your teeth once in the morning and once at night, but if you want to take it the extra mile, you could throw in a tooth brushing session in the middle of the day. The goal is to prevent plaque and tartar from building up, which can cause decay and tooth loss.
- Quit smoking. This is another critical measure to take if you want to prevent tooth loss. Studies show that tobacco consumption – either in the form of smoking cigarettes or chewing it – is directly related to tooth loss. The tar and chemicals from the cigarette smoke can build up around the base of the tooth and literally loosen it from the gums. Over time, this can happen to all of the teeth in your mouth. The smartest thing you can do is to quit – there are many smoking cessation programs you can try that will help you break the addiction.
- Visit a dentist on a regular basis. It is also critical that you visit a dental clinic, like Eastside Smiles, for a regular checkup and for a deep cleaning. A dentist will be able to look at x-rays and use unique tools to make sure you don’t have any cavities. Preventing these cavities is the key to preventing tooth loss, because an unchecked cavity can turn into an irreversible problem. Your best bet is to simply nip the issue in the bud.
- Avoid overly sugary soft drinks and candy. Soft drinks in particular can have a devastating effect on your teeth. If you have a habit of drinking these sodas regularly, they can start to erode the enamel on your teeth. The enamel on your teeth is basically like a shield against decay. However, if your enamel is compromised, the entire tooth could become compromised.
- Eat healthy and live a healthy lifestyle. One of the best ways to prevent tooth loss is to simply live a healthier lifestyle. For one thing, you may want to visit a general practitioner to get diagnosed for any diseases, like diabetes. Combatting illness is one of the best ways to make sure you can hold on to your teeth. Also, you want to stick to a healthy diet that is replete with vitamins and nutrients – a little exercising won’t hurt either.